An original Student Budget Recipe
You’ve finally made it to university – you’ve got the grades, said goodbye to your parents and are heading off into the big wide world alone. It isn’t as daunting as it sounds really: there are thousands of students just like you going through the same thing. Although it may seem difficult to adjust, to begin with, soon you’ll be fending for yourself with ease!
Healthy eating habits are often neglected when it comes to students – whilst it may seem easier and cheaper to indulge in a takeaway every night, it could cause some damage in the long run. Sure, the occasional kebab is usually needed to treat a hangover after a hard night out, but the reality is that it’s not impossible to eat properly on a budget. These recipes will show you how to stay healthy without breaking the bank.
1. Flatbread Pizza
This is a recipe that many students swear by. Okay, okay, even I’ll admit that when you think of healthy food, pizza isn’t the first thing that comes to mind. However, homemade pizza is better for you than a takeaway one and this recipe is guaranteed to have you coming back for more.
• 3tbsp plain flour (plus any extra for dusting)
• 1tbsp water
• 2tbsp olive oil
• 1tbsp seasoning of your choice (optional)
• Tomato puree
• Cheese of your choice
• Toppings of your choice (optional)
• First, preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
• Then, make the dough by mixing the flour, water, oil and seasoning into a bowl. Once the ingredients have formed a dough, place onto a lightly dusted surface to knead and then roll out to form a circle – usually about 20cm around.
• You’ll now want to place the flatbread into a frying pan and cook over high heat for 1-2 minutes.
• Next, you’ll need to remove your flatbread from the frying pan and place it on a baking sheet.
• Spread a thin layer of tomato puree so that it covers the surface of the flatbread, and then you’ll need to do the same. Add any other toppings chosen.
• Finally, cook in the oven for 4-5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
2. No-hassle Baked Potato
This next recipe is perfect for those of you who do not have much time to use your cooking skills, or if you’re just in a general rush. Baked potatoes have tons of nutritional value – especially when it comes to students. They are full of slow-releasing energy, and although this recipe is more of a snack, it’ll give you the boost you need to work even when you do not feel like it.
(For one serving)
• One medium-sized potato
• Salt and pepper (to taste)
• 1tbsp butter (optional)
• Toppings of your choice
• You will first want to wash and dry the potato you are using to ensure it is clean to cook.
• Pierce the potato several times with a fork, as this will allow steam to escape whilst it is cooking.
• Place the potato on a plate and season with a small amount of salt and pepper.
• Microwave the potato on full power for five minutes.
• Once it’s finished, turn it over and microwave for a further five minutes.
• When you’ve removed the potato from the microwave, cut it in half and season again with salt and pepper.
• If you’ve chosen to add butter, spread a small amount (approximately a tablespoon) on the inside of the potato.
• Add the toppings you’ve chosen – if you want to keep this snack healthy, then try lower-calorie options such as salad, tuna and chicken.
With these two recipes at hand, you’ll be ready to take control of your cooking student life and even maybe impress your flatmates along the way.
Undergraduate, Manchester Metropolitan University
Share this article
7 Intelligent Ways to Start Paying off Student Loan Debt
Graduating from university is one of life’s greatest accomplishments, but it shouldn’t end with a lifetime of debt. Many students need...
The Guide to Summer DIY Jobs Around the House
After a long year of study, you're probably ready to go home and relax for a couple of months - but your parents might have other...
Are Essay Writing Services Legal?
Universities and colleges have become highly competitive institutions. Starting from the admission process until the very last exam,...