From career progression and working within your local community to a whole range of financial discounts and benefits. Working at the Co-op isn't your standard retail job.
Customer Team Member Apprentice
Level 2 Retailer
£8.38 per hour plus benefits (£9.08 per hour in London)
30 hours per week on a permanent contract
At the Co-op, we welcome people from all walks of life and disciplines. That’s why our level 2 retail apprenticeship is open to people of all ages, experience and backgrounds. So no matter what your background is, this is a fantastic opportunity to gain retail experience whilst gaining a qualification at the same time.
During the programme, you’ll spend 80% of your contracted hours in store, and 20% will be dedicated to studying, wherever’s most convenient for you. You’ll complete 11 core modules over a 12-15 month period, developing all kinds of skills and knowledge to ultimately achieve a level 2 apprenticeship. We’ll even give you a tablet to help you with your studies. Not only will you learn how to better serve customers and develop your understanding of the world of retail, but you’ll also complete written and practical learning, work in a team, and become a part of a strong and supportive community. And as well as getting a permanent role and competitive salary from the word go, you’ll also be gaining a huge range of skills and knowledge as well as a level 2 apprenticeship.
And it doesn’t have to stop there. If you do decide to go on and achieve further qualifications, once you complete your level 2 apprenticeship you’ll have the opportunity to join our level 3 or degree level programmes, helping you to progress up the ladder and continue your learning here at the Co-op.
What you’ll do:
• work 30 hours per week in a Co-op store as a customer team member whilst learning the ins-and-outs of retailing
• work and study towards a level 2 retailer apprenticeship, with future opportunities to work towards a level 3, 4 and even a degree
• actively promote Co-op membership and make a difference to the local community
• work on all areas of the shop, from tills to deliveries; presenting and handling our products with care
• go above and beyond for customers, supporting them in any way you can
• complete 11 core modules for the apprenticeship within your weekly learning hours
• apply your learnings from the programme to your work in store
• use interactive workbooks to support your development alongside your dedicated coach
This role will suit you if you have:
• a real passion for retail and you’re looking to join us as a customer team member
• previously been or currently a part of a Princes Trust or Catch22 programme or a student at a Co-op Academy
• eligibility to work in the UK on a full time, permanent basis
• the flexibility to work 30 hours per week across variable shift patterns
• a real determination to build a progressive career at Co-op
• a flexible approach to studying and working at the same time
• no current qualifications in retail or business at level 2 or higher
• no other educational commitments preventing you from joining us in September 2019
We can offer you the opportunity to obtain a qualification and build a long term career in retail. You’ll have the opportunity to learn while you work in a supportive environment, and the guarantee of a permanent role once you’ve completed your studies. As a Co-op colleague you’ll also get:
• a competitive salary
• a pension with up to 10% employer contributions
• an annual incentive scheme
• great holiday allowance rising in line with service
• discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and we welcome applications from everyone – but having a diverse workforce is not enough. We want to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at coop.co.uk/peoplepolicies.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.
Fill in below which area you are searching in for a similar function and don't forget your e-mail address!
Do you want to apply within one click and stay up to date on the newest vacancies that suit you? Signup as a student!Sign up for free