This is a fantastic opportunity to come and work for a company voted 5th in the Great Place to Work (Best Large Workplaces) awards 2018, and Number 15 in Europe in 2017! We have over 450 stores, over 310 Groom Rooms and we’re the UK's number one pet care business. Our business is fast-paced, innovative and fun and it's our people that make the difference.
We are recruiting for a People Advisor on a six month fixed term contract. We welcome applications from those looking to work remotely but please note that our Support Offices are located in Handforth (Cheshire) and you may be required to travel to the office on a frequent basis.
As a People Advisor, you will be responsible for delivering a proactive HR service to our retail stores across the UK. This role is challenging, busy and very rewarding and you will be joining a team who are energetic and focused on achieving the highest standards and exceeding our colleague’s expectations. Occasional travel may be required where face to face support is essential for particular situations.
- Provide timely, professional HR advice to Store Managers and Area Managers particularly on HR policies, procedures, and terms & conditions of employment. This will be mainly telephone based and in written format, but could also be face to face where required.
- Take responsibility for cases across the regions and to proactively manage these cases to ensure that advice is provided in a timely manner and concluded appropriately.
- Provide advice & guidance to the Area Managers and Store Managers on HR issues to promote HR best practice, minimise risk to the practices and support business performance.
- Coach and support colleagues from individual stores and the Area Managers who are involved in ER cases to ensure they fulfil their role effectively.
- Attend complex hearings / meetings to offer advice & note take if required.
- Check and advise on outcome letters for individual cases.
- Maintain colleague records on the HR system, including processing changes in personal details, notification of maternity / paternity, resignations etc.
- Enter all cases onto the HEAT system ensuring records are up to date and documented accurately.
- Input into HR reporting / management information as required.
- Maintain awareness of the impact of employment legislation changes and ensure up to date legal compliance in all HR activities.
- Provide input to payroll activity & related administration.
- Involvement in regional operations meetings as required.
- Ad hoc project work.
- Role model effective relationships across the wider Group People Team, People Services team, People Partners and wider People team.
Skills & Knowledge required;
- Previous Human Resources experience required, including guiding and support managers in HR / ER issues over the telephone.
- Working knowledge of UK employment law essential.
- CIPD qualified or working towards qualification.
- PC literate (Word processing, spreadsheets, databases).
- Strong collaborative team player
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to show initiative
- Ability to time manage
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Good problem-solving skills and diplomacy
- Flexible, commercial approach
- Sound administrative and IT skills
- Self-motivation and enthusiasm
- Up to £27,000 per annum (dependent upon experience)
- 33 days pro rata paid annual leave (including bank holidays)
- Birthday Leave - 1 day extra leave to celebrate your Birthday!
- The option to buy extra holidays
- An extra days holiday when you become a new pet parent (Dog/Cat/Horse)
- Pension Scheme
- Colleague Discount- 20% discount for you (plus one family member). This can be used in Pets at Home Stores, Groom Rooms, Companion Care Veterinary Services, and Pet Plan Insurance!
- “Treats” benefits- an online range of offers and discounts which are available exclusively to Pets at Home Colleagues
- Life assurance
- Contributory Private Health Care
- Charity Leave- You are entitled to have one paid day’s leave each year to work for your favourite animal related charity.
- Free Car Parking
- Free Gym
- Colleague of the Month Awards
- Cycle to Work Scheme
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application deadline/closing date once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
*If you haven't heard back from us within 2 weeks, please assume that unfortunately on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful*