This is a fantastic opportunity to come and work for a company voted 5th in the Great Place to Work (Best Large Workplaces) awards 2018, and Number 15 in Europe in 2017! Pets at Home Group Plc is the UK’s leading pet care business; our commitment is to make sure pets and their owners get the very best advice, products and care. We have over 450 stores, over 310 Groom Rooms and 440 First Opinion Vet Practices. Our business is fast-paced, innovative and fun and it's our people that make the difference.
We are recruiting for a Head of Colleague Communications & Experience. We welcome applications from those looking to work remotely but please note that our Support Offices are based in Handforth (Cheshire) and Swindon and you may be required to travel to the office occasionally.
This role will lead on developing, strengthening and mobilising our colleague engagement strategy, bringing it to life through a consistent and compelling colleague communication strategy. As a result, the way in which we communicate will inspire and emotionally connect all our colleagues to our strategic vision, our purpose, and in turn our colleagues will be energised to deliver upon our strategic objectives.
This role will also play a key part in shaping our people brand, translating it into our people promise, and working alongside the People leadership teams, will embed it across the candidate and colleague lifecycle, reinforcing & story telling our unique elements across all our colleague communication channels.
This role will also be pivotal role in leading on the unique activities and programmes which defines our differentiated colleague experience. In addition to supporting initiatives which showcases our culture (i.e. our fun, social, and inspiring events), our wellbeing strategy and plans is also a core priority, strengthened further by communication activity to maximise leadership and colleague engagement.
- Will work with key business stakeholders to create a messaging platform which emotionally connects our colleagues to our strategy, purpose and vision.
- Will work with the People Team to translate our Group and Divisional People Strategy into an effective communication plan in order to engage and inspire our colleagues, understanding their role in the part they play in delivering our strategy.
- Articulate / implement our roadmap of communications and engagement activity
- Will design, shape and deliver impactful communications tools / channels relevant to the audience, message, and level of impact & influence required, i.e. business briefs, leader briefs, colleague briefs, virtual, social, written, video, SapJam, etc
- Will drive consistency and standardisation in how we communicate to our colleagues
- Shape and mobilise our engagement surveys (annual and pulses) and be responsible for the outcomes to drive continuous improvement for our colleagues – will work with and through the people partners and wider teams.
- Explore and action other key colleague collaboration and feedback forums, involving all levels of our organisation, leadership to floor.
- Will bring to life our actions through effective colleague communications, keeping it alive, assuring our colleagues of the value of listening and action.
- Working in partnership with brand, marketing, people teams to shape, articulate, and embed our people promise, working with the People Centres of Excellence & People Teams to bring to life our unique colleague proposition.
- Creative brand and communication plans will reinforce our colleague experience throughout the whole of the candidate to colleague lifecycle. Will influence each of the colleague touchpoints where the brand can be experienced (recruitment to induction, to development, wellbeing etc)
- Will play a lead role in shaping our social voice externally aligned to our people brand.
- Will be an ambassador for our values and behaviours, and will embed as part of our culture roadmap, reinforced through continual communication.
- Will increase our external reputation of our people brand by writing and submitting entries for people awards.
- Oversight of the approach and delivery for communicating complex business messages to our colleagues (i.e. organisational strategy, business performance, change and transformation initiatives etc)
- Ensure colleague engagement is considered when key decisions are made, and the relevance of communication, timing, etc.
- Air Traffic Control for all BAU internal / colleague communications activity, to ensure the right messages are delivered to the right people at the right time. Will manage group messaging, and will work with retail ops comm’s teams and vets comm’s teams as required.
- Will work in close partnership with Head of External Comm’s, joining the communication steerco to ensure joined up messaging and/or sharing of content in order to strengthen, support, align key pieces of comm’s. Will translate appropriate messaging for our colleagues.
- Will lead on content internally for all CEO briefings, announcements and internally delivered scripts to ensure a consistent narrative and tone of voice.
- Overseeing the effective delivery of all large events & conferences, i.e. leader engagement, annual conferences, launches etc
- Will oversee the plan for all colleague experience activity
- Experience of developing colleague engagement surveys, action plans and comm’s plans
- Experience of managing communication plans in a transforming organisation
- Experience of working collaboratively with internal and external communications partners, stakeholders, business leaders, agencies etc
- Experience of building and shaping a people brand, and how to bring it to life through effective communications throughout the colleague lifecycle.
- Experience of delivering effective engagement and colleague communication strategies and campaigns for large complex, multi sited organisations
- Excellent people skills, ability to establish relationships at all levels
- Strong leadership capability, and ability to work cross functionally
- Budget management
- Exceptionally strong written and verbal communications skills, a copy writer and strong proof reader. Comfortable at writing scripts for others.
- Confident at facilitating at large events, providing video content – e.g. strong presentation skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Experience of working across a broad range of media and channels
- Strong planning and organisation skills – ability to work under pressure, manage competing priorities and changing deadlines
- Experience of running large scale internal events
- Strong technical competencies relevant to internal engagement and knowledge of effective communication models including digital and strategic engagement
- Ability to translate complex data into communication materials
- Competitive salary plus bonus
- 36 days paid annual leave (including bank holidays), rising to 38 days after two years
- Birthday Leave - 1 day extra leave to celebrate your Birthday!
- The option to buy extra holidays
- An extra days holiday when you become a new pet parent (Dog/Cat/Horse)
- Pension Scheme
- Colleague Discount- 20% discount for you (plus one family member). This can be used in Pets at Home Stores, Groom Rooms, Companion Care Veterinary Services, and Pet Plan Insurance!
- “Treats” benefits- an online range of offers and discounts which are available exclusively to Pets at Home Colleagues
- Life assurance
- Contributory Private Health Care
- Charity Leave- You are entitled to have one paid day’s leave each year to work for your favourite animal related charity.
- Celebrating Special Celebrations? You’ll get 1 extra week off and a gift to celebrate your wedding or civil partnership, and a gift from us if you are expecting or adopting a baby!
- Free Car Parking
- Free Gym
- Colleague of the Month Awards
- Cycle to Work Scheme
Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application deadline/closing date once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
*If you haven't heard back from us within 2 weeks, please assume that unfortunately on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful*