At loyalBe, we've created a bank-connected rewards app that helps retailers engage with and delight their customers. Put simply, we use Open Banking APIs to remove the need for physical loyalty cards (and QR codes, bluetooth beacons, etc). This lets us democratise access to digital loyalty solutions for retailers. We are a VC-backed startup operating in the exciting FinTech space and were named one of the top 15 FinTech companies to watch in 2020 by TechNation.
About the role
We are looking for a passionate Senior Software Engineer to design, develop and deliver exceptional software.
The role is primarily backend but will require flexibility and a start-up mentality (see Disclaimer below!). You might be working on a new feature for our react dashboard one day, integrating with new bank APIs the next, and writing infrastructure-as-code the following day. If this excites you, you should apply.
You will also be one of the first engineers to join us at this level, and depending on your interests, you’ll contribute to various efforts from raising the bar in terms of best practices to the hiring and growth of the engineering team. You will help us scale our app to lots of merchants and users and will have a huge impact on the trajectory of the company.
This role is perfect for someone at a senior level who is working towards a technical lead role - as a rapidly growing startup, you will have the opportunity to grow as the team/company grows. Working at a startup can be a great way to 'hack' your career growth.
We're looking for someone who gets excited by solving new challenges and learning new things along the way. You're a self-starter and you like to be hands-on (i.e. write code) but also want to help steer the direction of the technology forward (working closely with technical founder).
We need someone who works well with uncertainty, frequent changes to product specifications and who can move fast (to give you an idea of what that looks like; we have taken a feature-request from idea to production in <1.5 days). Our product roadmap is primarily customer-led.
Salary and equity are competitive and negotiable depending on experience.
What you'll do
- Write well-designed, testable code (this will be most of your day)
- Design and build APIs for use with our web app and mobile clients
- Mentor and coach junior engineers (through code reviews and pairing if necessary)
- Build systems at scale, learn new technologies and share knowledge
- Solve hard technical challenges with good coding practices while being conscious of functionality and robustness
- Develop a deep understanding of our entire stack and the processes and technologies relevant to our space (e.g. Open Banking APIs) and write code across our entire stack
- Fully own the design and development of multiple features (working closely with technical founder and rest of the small team)
Our tech stack (knowledge of two or more of the below is useful)
- Swift (iOS)
- Java (Android & Backend Services)
- Proven work experience as a Software Engineer
- Knowledge of relational databases (we use MySQL - general SQL experience required)
- Knowledge and experience with CI/CD
- Experience of applying development best practices and patterns in relation to security, scalability and performance
- Experience designing and building APIs (ideally REST)
- You should be very familiar with the SDLC from preliminary analysis to tests and production deployment.
- Experience with AWS or another cloud platform provider
- A stake in the company you are building through a stock option plan. Stock options will be a % figure of the company, not "x shares", so you will know exactly how much you own.
- Have your say on how the company solves tough challenges
- Limited number of weekly meetings, aside from collaborating on technical solutions with the team where appropriate
- Professional development budget
- Flexible WFH
- Macbook Pro, monitor, google apps - whatever tools you need to get your job done
- Semi-frequent team lunches
- Ability to have exposure to a lot of different tools/technologies, rather than being siloed
- City centre location (Ormeau Baths after lockdown), potential for fully remote.
- Flexible working arrangements and flexible working hours - work life balance is very important to us
- The ability to have a huge impact in a small company
We believe that being a diverse team will make us a stronger team and we want to hire people who believe the same. Please don't filter yourself out!
Please send us a short message, along with your LinkedIn profile and CV/Resume.
You don't need to write a heartfelt story, but it would be great to get a short paragraph about yourself and why you're applying for the role. Please include anything else you think is relevant (e.g. GitHub profile, links to previous work).
If we proceed with your application, the interview process will consist of a quick phone call, followed by a technical interview and a short programming challenge.
We're a startup, so working with us means you can and will face different challenges than working in larger organisations. Yes, we're a small and fast-moving team which definitely has it's advantages but that also means you'll have a lot of responsibility. Servers go down? It's up to us to fix it; there is no dev-ops team. Customer support ticket comes in and you're the only one available? Please pick it up. (At least you can reply directly in Slack.)
While we certainly can't guarantee that this will be the best job you'll ever have, we can guarantee that you will learn a lot (simply by doing) and will contribute significantly to the success of the company. If that interests you, please get in touch.
Fill in below which area you are searching in for a similar function and don't forget your e-mail address!
Do you want to apply within one click and stay up to date on the newest vacancies that suit you? Signup as a student!Sign up for free