This is a fantastic opportunity to come and work for a company voted 5th in the Great Place to Work (Best Large Workplaces) awards 2018, and Number 15 in Europe in 2017! We have over 450 stores, over 310 Groom Rooms and we’re the UK's number one pet care business. Our business is fast-paced, innovative and fun and it's our people that make the difference.
We are recruiting for a Productivity Programme Manager. We welcome applications from those looking to work remotely but please note that our Support Offices are located in Handforth (Cheshire) and you may be required to travel to the office on a frequent basis.
Pets at Home Group are embarking on an ambitious programme, building on its strong business performance, to materially improve the efficiency and productivity of its group operations. This is a programme of strategic importance, reporting directly to the Group Executive Committee, with a broad and diverse scope covering all group businesses and functions. goal is to improve operational leverage in order to accelerate strategic investments into improving the customer experience.
This is a rare opportunity to help build and develop Productivity Improvement as a new capability at a business outperforming the retail industry; an opportunity to build for the future rather than focus on tactical and immediate cost out activities.
We are seeking individuals to join a small team of seasoned professionals to establish and deliver this programme. Likely to currently hold the position of Programme Manager or equivalent at a national retail business, the successful candidates will have extensive experience of delivering material productivity improvements / cost savings at multi-site and consumer-facing organisations.
- To engage with directors and senior executives to build trust and strong relationships enabling open and honest conversations about where improvements are required across teams, processes, people and structures.
- To uphold and defend the strong business culture grounded in empathy and humility and to expertly balance this against the need to deliver material results.
- To challenge the status quo at the most senior level by providing alternative views supported with reasoned argument and examples from other organisations across sectors.
- To work alongside teams and individuals at all levels with an adaptable style which puts colleagues at ease and therefore allows a grounded and realistic assessment of opportunities and solutions.
- To resolve barriers and conflicts with a deft understanding of each situation taking account of the politics and the business context balancing the need to maintain strong relationships with the need to deliver results.
- To provide coaching and upskilling to colleagues across the business in order to improve overall capability to successfully delivery projects, make data-based cost-conscious decision and therefore improve operational efficiency.
- To deliver a portfolio of opportunities simultaneously to release targeted benefits and savings to the business PnL by:
- Forming Natural Work Teams for each Opportunity including colleagues representing each of the areas required to achieve a successful delivery.
- Managing Natural Work Teams consisting of Colleagues to whom you have no direct line accountability by influencing priorities and through strong relationships.
- Managing the risk profile of each opportunity by implementing mitigation plans and documenting and reporting key decisions, actions, risks and dependencies.
- Creating a plan and delivery framework which all areas with a dependency to delivery commit and to which reporting and tracking is baselined.
- To create a strong pipeline of opportunities by:
- Building a robust understanding of the operations of the group businesses.
- Creating conceptual models which help us understand and challenge current performance and constraints.
- Creating and socialising hypotheses of where opportunities for improvement exist and test these using high-level data modelling.
- Describing the opportunities in the simplest possible way in order to engage a broad cross section of support.
- To engage with the finance processes in order to fully understand and influence the way in which budgets are set, the method used to performance manage business units and cost centres.
- To ensure savings are accounted for accurately and are sustained in the budgets across future years.
- Experience managing operational teams within the retail sector.
- Consulting experience either gained from a consulting firm or from an internal consulting function.
- Extensive experience managing or improving operations within multi-site consumer facing businesses.
- Previous experience as Programme Manager or equivalent delivering operational change and cost saving initiatives.
- Proven track record of delivering a portfolio of projects which release in excess of 5% of the addressable cost base annually.
- Proven track record delivering in-year targets and the necessary fast-pace of delivery necessary to accelerate the release of benefits.
- Experience engaging at CXO and Exec level stakeholders with confident verbal reasoning, credibility, gravitas and excellent written communication skills.
- Ability to Independently take ownership of the productivity plan for a functional area including a target of £1m+ and all the necessary stakeholder relationships.
- Experience delivering operational improvement and cost savings from at least three different functional areas across Marketing, Retail Operations, Distribution, Transport, Supply Chain, Services and Contact Centres.
- Experience leading cross-functional project teams in a matrix type structure and managing the stakeholder relationships necessary for successful delivery.
- Experience coaching and mentoring colleagues in effective methods including basic consultancy techniques such as RACI and Workshopping.
- Knowledge of a variety of different Project Management methodologies and the experience necessary to advise on the best approach for different projects.
- Competitive salary plus bonus
- 36 days paid annual leave (including bank holidays), rising to 38 days after two years
- Birthday Leave - 1 day extra leave to celebrate your Birthday!
- The option to buy extra holidays
- An extra days holiday when you become a new pet parent (Dog/Cat/Horse)
- Pension Scheme
- Colleague Discount- 20% discount for you (plus one family member). This can be used in Pets at Home Stores, Groom Rooms, Companion Care Veterinary Services, and Pet Plan Insurance!
- “Treats” benefits- an online range of offers and discounts which are available exclusively to Pets at Home Colleagues
- Life assurance
- Contributory Private Health Care
- Charity Leave- You are entitled to have one paid day’s leave each year to work for your favourite animal related charity.
- Celebrating Special Celebrations? You’ll get 1 extra week off and a gift to celebrate your wedding or civil partnership, and a gift from us if you are expecting or adopting a baby!
- Free Car Parking
- Free Gym
- Colleague of the Month Awards
- Cycle to Work Scheme