Far more than a retailer, Pets at Home Group is the UK’s leading pet care specialist, fulfilling every possible pet and owner need, from food and accessories to grooming and vet services. Since 1991, we’ve been building a business around pets and their owners and we’ve set our sights on becoming the best pet care business in the world. Join us now and you can be part of that journey, developing your future as we develop ours. This is a place where you can take pride and passion in your work within an inspiring, professional team that’s focused on supporting pets and their owners to live happier lives together.
We are now recruiting for a Packaging Technologist to work in our in-house Packaging Team at our Support Office in Handforth, Cheshire. Reporting to the Brand and Packaging Manager, you will work closely with both internal and external stakeholders to drive, create and manage packaging initiatives from initial conception through to launch, ensuring regulatory requirements are met and quality standards are set whilst simultaneously driving the business sustainability agenda.
The Technologist will provide quality, cost effective and environmentally responsible packaging, delivering true innovation with the end customer in mind. They will take on responsibility for managing all related data and specifications and ownership of individual projects, providing technical expertise.
This would be ideally suited to someone who is able to operate independently as the subject matter expert in the business, looking to take a further step into in this type of role, looking to gain real responsibility for owning and driving the Technical Packaging agenda. This position offers the potential for real growth and development for someone with the drive and passion to develop in this role.
- Take a key role in ensuring sustainability targets are defined and delivered against in accordance with business objectives
- Taking an environmental and sustainability approach, identifying, recommending and implementing solutions for reducing waste and recycling initiatives that minimise environmental impact of packaging, finding innovative sustainable solutions that are new to the pet-care market, through the consideration and selection of appropriate packaging materials.
- Take an active role in working collaboratively with internal teams and suppliers to source and develop new and sustainable formats and materials for new and existing ranges offering creative and innovative thinking whilst delivering continuous improvements in quality and commercials that are market leading across the portfolio of brands
- Conduct testing of finished packs to assist the setting and achievement of quality standards; and work with suppliers on improving the technical performance on existing packaging with involvement from concept to launch ensuring legal compliance
- Advise and challenge all aspects of the packaging development process to ensure best Packaging Technologist best practice
- Collaborative sign off of final technical spec’s
- Proposing and ensuring packaging standards are met for individual ranges and carrying out investigations into issues and resolving through working with suppliers to ensure corrective actions are developed and met
- Develop and maintain a database of documentation including specifications, material / reporting of compliance data / trial reporting / waste management / value analysis reporting, in line with the relevant directives that will be used to report on our packaging sustainability performance externally
- Where appropriate identify and make recommendations for opportunities in weight reduction / cost reduction / quality improvements
- Conduct testing on new packaging materials and formats as needed to ensure adherence to required specifications.
- Research and identify global market trends to develop and implement best in class packaging with a focus on innovative customer solutions and materials
- Assist in the completion of reporting of transit trials
- Occasional attendance of print runs
- Previous experience in a similar role and qualifications in a Packaging or related field with considerable experience working experience in a packaging development / technologist role is essential, ideally within a food environment
- Broad knowledge of packaging equipment and materials and printing processes, art work and packaging materials.
- Demonstrated experience as a Packaging Technologist across a range of packaging solutions and an array of different materials
- A passion for achieving sustainability and previous experience in delivering sustainable packaging solutions
- The ability to work independently and lead the agenda across the Group as the subject matter expert
- A strong team player with excellent meticulous attention to detail and methodical approach in order to work to strict deadlines and managing various projects with tenacity and drive
- Team player who will form a key part of the overall packaging dept. with the ability to collaborate to secure solutions in a fast moving environment
- Experience in working within the FMCG / Food regulatory industry would be a strong advantage
- Previous retail experience would be beneficial although not essential.
- Ability to work to critical paths in a fast moving environment
- Flexible locations are available although there may be a requirement to travel to company locations.
- Full driving licence required.
We’re driven by the wellbeing of pets and we make sure we look after our people too. We depend on your commitment and innovation, and reward it with competitive pay and comprehensive benefits. Together we’ll create the future of pet care.