Undergraduates - Summer Placements 2021
Join Roke Manor Research as an Undergraduate on a summer vacation placement in our engineering and consultancy business areas.
We are offering you the chance to be part of something amazing. We use innovation, partnerships, and our 60 years of experience to offer our clients exceptional advice, research and development. Every day, our people use their passion, skills and intelligence to make the world a safer place. Why not join us?
Early career professionals at Roke get the opportunity to apply themselves across a broad range of projects. Roke’s teams carefully choose the most effective tools for each development and as such we are always learning new tools, frameworks, approaches and sometimes languages. We build teams that can adapt to solve our customers’ evolving challenges and rarely solve the same problem twice.
What can you expect?
You will typically be with us for eight weeks in July / August and will be paid an excellent monthly salary. We transform businesses and organisations across all sectors by bringing the physical and digital worlds together, applying our experience and expertise in sensors, communications, cyber-security and AI. In your summer vacation work you will gain hands on experience of the innovative work that we undertake. This will give you an excellent opportunity to learn and develop new skills within the varied and interesting engineering work which takes place at Roke.
You will also have the opportunity to take part in Roke’s social clubs, such as Data Science or Cyber club, and receive technical and business skills training. If you are selected to join us on a summer vacation placement scheme you’ll add value from day one and we are confident you will find it engaging and rewarding for both yourself and your career.
What do we expect from you?
• You will ideally be in your 2nd or 3rd year, studying a full time degree course in Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Electronic Engineering, Systems Engineering, Business Management, Operational Research (or a related discipline) however, if you are at the close of your 1st year of study you are still welcome to apply.
• You should already have some practical experience of software and be able to demonstrate an analytical approach to problem solving, so that during your placement useful work can be conducted under the supervision of an engineer.
• An ability to pick up new tools, frameworks and languages fast
• An ability to analyse problems and communicate well thought through solutions
• An ability to develop new solutions where no pre-existing solution fits
• A willingness and capability to work as part of a team
Where will you be based?
Your will typically be located at Roke's site in Romsey, Hampshire.
What are some of the benefits of our summer vacation programme?
• Excellent salary
• Prestigious location set in 22 acres of stunning grounds
• Option to join the sports and social club, including use of the gym and tennis courts
• Subsidised staff restaurant
• Entitlement to paid leave
• Help finding local accommodation if you need to live away from home
• Excellent career prospects, with potential opportunity of employment as a Graduate Engineer in the future.
Diversity and Inclusion
Roke relies on strength that comes from the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our staff. We all have a responsibility to create an environment where we have the freedom, support and trust to succeed– where we are encouraged to bring our whole self to work. Diversity and Inclusion makes life at Roke enjoyable, as you find yourself integrated in teams made up of a variety of people with ranging backgrounds and experiences. This enables you to interact and connect with individuals, and gather differing perspectives and knowledge that broadens your horizons.
Due to the nature of this position, we require you to be eligible to achieve SC clearance. As a result, you should be a British Citizen and have resided in the UK for the last 5 years.
We are committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity, Diversity and Inclusion. Our working environment is friendly, creative and inclusive. We can accommodate flexible working arrangements, and support a diverse work-force and those with additional needs.
Fill in below which area you are searching in for a similar function and don't forget your e-mail address!