Barchester is one of the UK’s foremost care providers, with over 25 years’ experience, nearly 240 care homes, and six independent hospitals. We currently have some of the best quality ratings of any large care home provider in the UK, but we’re not stopping there: our mission is to provide the best possible person-centred care to elderly and vulnerable people, so we’re growing and improving our services.
Hawthorns Care Home is a modern, purpose-built home, set in a peaceful residential area of Peterlee. Hawthorns includes: a unit providing excellent 24-hour nursing care for older people; alongside a unit with expert care for those living with dementia in our dedicated Memory Lane Community, and a neurological rehabilitation unit for younger adults with moderate/severe brain and spinal injuries, where this post is based. This unit is nurse led, with visiting specialists, including regular visits from a Consultant Neurologist. The successful applicant will join the in-house full therapy team of senior therapists and assistants. The caseload is adults, varied in age, and severity of disability, and includes both active recovery presentations, as well as slow stream functional, and quality of life rehabilitation.
NEED TO HAVE:
• NVQ level 2 related to care/promoting independence.
• Previous experience of a care role and to be able to demonstrate some knowledge of the speech and language therapy role.
• Experience of basic computer use, for emails, making documents using ‘word documents’ (mainly copy and pasting internet pictures, and simple charts) and internet searches for developing resources.
• Very good verbal and written communication skills, and have patience, understanding and sensitivity to disability.
• Ability to work independently and within a team, and an eagerness to learn new ways of working to adapt to the personal needs of residents with varied impairments.
All training for the role will be provided in-house, led by the half-time Speech and Language Therapist (SLT).
NEED TO DO:
• Interventions relating to communication and swallowing ability in residents, in both individual sessions and group work.
• Working closely with the SLT and therapy team members, for joint working, supervision, support and discussion/understanding of programmes.
• Observing general behavior, ability and response of residents in therapy sessions, then recording daily into care plans.
• Being adaptable to the varied forms of communication residents may use, (which may include communication aids) with full SLT support and training, for the role you have with the resident.
• Acting as a member of the multidisciplinary team, sharing and disseminating information with relevant staff members.
• Establishing professional working relationships with residents, their families, and friends to provide a safe and reassuring environment.
• An admin component is to develop therapy materials for the sessions with residents, from the SLTs guidance and discussion, (e.g. pictures relating to the residents interest, or sourcing stories for interest relating to therapy ideas).
As the only healthcare provider to be accredited as one of the best companies to work for in the UK, Barchester are dedicated to ensuring that our team are respected and their contribution valued. If you are looking to develop a career with an employer that is supportive and offers progression opportunities, Barchester is an empowering and rewarding place to be.
Fill in below which area you are searching in for a similar function and don't forget your e-mail address!