Job Title: Data Engineering... Job Type:... Location: London... Hours: 37... Salary: £Competitive + Company... ...
Data Engineering Manager
Job Type: Permanent
Salary: £Competitive + Company Benefits
Do you want to make a difference by building a modern data processing and analytics platform in the cloud? Holland and Barrett is a successful business on a mission to improve health and wellness for everyone through its products and services. We started in 1870 and today we are a highly profitable global Health and Wellness retailer with more than 1,000 shops worldwide, and we are the largest health and wellness retailer in the UK. Throughout the Covid lockdown period we grew our digital presence through web and mobile and have entered an exciting period of high growth. Simply put, you will apply your Data Engineering and Leadership expertise to drive technical innovation that will accelerate this great business into the next decade and beyond.
Holland and Barrett are committed to accelerating this transformation. Our outstanding CTO has a long history of success in the driving technical innovation in the retail sector and is building a strong team of technologists to achieve the vision of change. You will join alongside an established team of data engineers working cross-functionally alongside data science and BI teams. The data platform is a key pillar in is our transformation journey. We love cloud native, we prefer building the right solutions over buying generic ones and we embrace automation, monitoring and testing in all things software, infrastructure and data.
You have experience with cloud computing and developing data processing pipelines including ingestion, cleaning, transformation, monitoring, data quality profiling and more. You have worked with large-scale batch processing as well as near-real time stream processing. Best practices in data and software engineering are dear to your heart. You are not dogmatic, you can balance strategic and tactical development and know how to develop and deploy quickly and iteratively in a team context.
You have extensive experience with numerous technology stacks and approaches. Consequently you can make informed design choices as easily as day to day decisions including ways of working, practices and technologies. You see high quality tested code as an enabler of development speed not an afterthought. You are seeking to take more responsibility, provide solutions and own these collectively within the team through to deployment. You like to develop your skills and value a culture where learning and experimentation are promoted.
You have experience of leading small teams (3-5) and building high performance squads.
The Data Engineering Manager role is a leadership role for a team comprising Lead Data Engineers, Senior Data Engineer and Data Engineers. Your will have the chance to make your team shine and grow their capabilities. Line management and recruitment of new team members is something you should have experience of. Within your team there will be a high degree of autonomy coupled with an expectation of reliable sustained delivery with frequent deployments to production.
You will work alongside other Data Engineering Managers as H&B grows and be part of a Data Engineering Centre of Excellence. Strategic projects will include dataset anomaly detection, self-service data analytics provisions, cloud data warehouse integration, machine learning pipelines as a service and growing our adoption of near real time data ingest and analysis.
Interested? Read on.
· Manage and mentor a data engineering team building and supporting modern data engineering solutions to in the retail and e-commerce space
· Conduct technical platform design and implementation
· Foster a culture of innovation and professionalism
· Ensure delivered solutions meet business and operational needs
· Stay abreast of emerging technologies and research which can improve your team's delivery capabilities
· Encourage and lead a culture of innovation
· Develop as a role model for data engineers promoting high standards across all dimensions of outcome - quality, correctness, software engineering practices
· Maintain and enhance data engineering standards while enabling your team to exceed these standards
· Develop and own the plan and schedule for your data engineering team which balances software delivery, continuous improvement and operational support
· Ensure testing is part of every step on the route to live
· Ensure data pipelines are monitored for functional correctness, SLIs and anomalies
· Develop code yourself
· Review code
· Ensure the success of cross-functional squad teams your team member and you will be part of
· Contribute to technology roadmaps
· Grow your team through recruitment, training, coaching, motivating and managing performance
· Apply and encourage evidence based decision making
· Course correct as required
· Lead team activities: Code review, standards setting, retrospectives, continuous improvements, show'n'tells, backlog refinement.
· Able to design data engineering solutions to achieve technical objectives
· Able to lead review of data engineering designs
· Able to communicate with stakeholders at a suitable level of detail to ensure stakeholders requirements are well understood and stakeholders have accurate expectations on dates and functionality
· Motivate your team by supporting autonomy, mastery and purpose in the data engineering realm
· Outcome Orientated
· Clear Communicator
· High Performance Champion
· Problem Crusher
You will need relevant experience in the following areas or equivalent experience and the ability to train yourself as you go to cover gaps and new technologies that your team will need guidance on. You will be be developing solutions hands-on and taking this into production as part of your team.
· Cloud Computing: AWS, S3, Athena, Glue, Lambda, CloudFormation, EMR, kubernetes
· Distributed computing: Spark, architectural principles
· Messaging: Kafka, Avro schema, Kafka Connector, Kafka ecosystem
· Monitoring: Datadog
· Software Engineering Practices: TDD, CI, CD, Design.
· Scala, Python
· SQL Scripting: Athena, Spark SQL
· RDBMS: Oracle, Postgres
· Professional experience in a comparable role
· Git, Code Review, Code Coverage, SBT, IDE
We offer a flexible, home-based working model. We have offices in Nuneaton and London, but you will not be required to be office-based.
Holland & Barrett is one of the nation's most loved and trusted brands, known for offering quality health food, vitamins and supplements all sold by highly trained and qualified advisors.
Bucking the current trend of high street retailers, we forecast significant growth and expansion plans in the coming years, with considerable investment going into all areas of the business. We certainly embrace change and drive speed in everything we do. Every day presents a different challenge, but every day is also filled with fun, teamwork and passion to succeed and surpass every expectation.
Join us and see how far you can go…
Fill in below which area you are searching in for a similar function and don't forget your e-mail address!