Starting with a single train journey from Leicester to Loughborough in 1841, we’ve grown into a travel company that’s constantly thinking about new and innovative ways to take you places: not just on holiday, but in your career too.
Whether you dream of working abroad or want to help create the next marketing campaign, there’s a range of roles across our retail stores, head office, Thomas Cook Airlines and far beyond. From Product Managers to pilots, there’s one thing we all have in common: keeping the customer at our heart.
With a team of over 22,000 colleagues, operating across 15 countries, the opportunities are endless, whether you’ve worked in travel before or are looking to start a new adventure today.
Role: TCAE Business Advisor
Working Hours: 37.5
Job Purpose: TCAE delivers maintenance and engineering services to the GAS, this role works across the GAS, coordinating pricing / budgets / forecasts and actual charges to our Airlines. Management accounting lead for TCAE, responsibilities of the job include: delivery of month end accounts close, budgets and forecasts (Turnover £41m / Costs £(43)m) ensuring timely production of financial information, with meaningful and accurate associated commentaries and analysis. Provision of commercial and business support to TCAE senior operational leaders. Controlling and forecasting income and expenditure. Finance Lead on business case/projects for TCAE, relating to group wide services. Compliance with all statutory/internal control requirements, including lead contact for all matters TCAE with outsourced internal audit and external auditors. Management of one team member.
- Complete own areas of P&L and BS responsibility such as (Hangar and Line maintenance) internal and external revenue, (Hangar, UK line, Overseas line, Cabin, HM Liaison, Maintrol and Management department) costs, including agreement of intercompany balances and completion of balance sheets.
- Also responsible for maintenance of GAS pricing models for all aspects of TCAE services. Oversight of revenue billing process (majority across GAS). Maintenance of margin and cost per event reporting.
- Working across GAS to resolve inter-company queries and disputes in relation to TCAE revenues / charges.
- Ownership of team month end P&L and reporting for entire TCAE entity. Ensuring all numbers are in by WD3, with sufficient commentary to latest forecast. Attendance to WD4 P&L meeting and explaining team variances. Completion of all monthly Airline, GMO and ABR reporting, including variance analysis to Budgets, Forecasts and Prior Years to set deadlines to Finance Manager GMO, UK Finance Director, GMO Finance Director. Review of certain BS rec’s completed by other team members.
- Ownership of team R&O, Budgets and Forecasts process for TCAE entity. Ensure once timetables are distributed team plan is in place to meet them, files are set up, other teams inputs reviewed once complete and all Airline, GMO and ABR reporting is completed to internal timetables. Analysis / review commentary to ensure trends / variances / changes are understood. Preparation of packs for senior management review of TCAE budgets (key stakeholders; UK Head of Maintenance Operations, GMO Director of Maintenance Ops)
- Ownership of team cash flow submitted weekly for TCAE entity. Input own areas, and review other teams inputs ready for weekly submission to Treasury team.
- Ownership of monthly GMO financial and FTE reporting which collates horizontal maintenance information across the GAS for distribution to GMO Finance Director, Group Airline Director for Airline Operation and Group Airline Director for Customer Operations, along with hosting monthly meeting to discuss variances
- Preparation of all information / schedules required as part of interim reviews and statutory audit for TCAE to defined standards and timelines. Liaison with auditors to ensure understanding and resolve any queries arising as part of the audit process. Also completion of national statistics reporting for entity.
- Assist in preparation of engineering business cases, monitoring actual spend against approvals, updating forecasts and explaining variances as appropriate.
- Any ad hoc work of an engineering finance nature that may be required by Finance or Engineering.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Accurate, insightful, well presented, timely reports.
- Meet internal timetables for monthly management accounts and budgets/forecasts
- Delivery of robust budgeting / forecasting to group timescales, in prescribed formats.
- Turnover £41m / Costs £(43)m
Capabilities Profile – technical skills/knowledge, experience & track record.
- Ability to work to and meet multiple deadlines.
- Planning, Analytical and organisational skills, along with high attention to detail to ensure all reporting within the role is correct.
- Able to communicate well at all levels, both within finance and operationally and ability to support and positively challenge senior business leaders.
- Excellent analytical and numerical abilities with high level of IT literacy, specifically Microsoft excel.
- Drive a culture of continuous improvement within the team, whilst supporting a robust financial control framework.
- Team player – ideally some experience with managing other team members.
- Technical knowledge of accounting principles applicable to airline maintenance.
- Experience with SAP & Anaplan systems
Qualifications, Training, Professional Memberships or Accreditations
- Professional qualification; CIMA/ ACCA / ACA Qualified.
- Previous experience in an Airline finance role.
- Previous engineering & maintenance cost accounting experience.
Responsibility for TCAE Overheads Accountant
Life at Thomas Cook is fast-paced and full of opportunities. We’re a leading international travel company that believes in empowering our people, so when you join us, you’ll be given the chance to create, learn and innovate. You’ll also be given the support and training you need to develop your career in the direction you choose.
As you might expect, our holiday benefits are something special. We’ll give you an allowance towards your holiday every year, depending on how long you’ve been with us. There are also special last minute employee deals, which give you the opportunity to pick up a holiday at an outstanding price. Working for Thomas Cook, you can travel the world for less.
We also offer a flexible benefits package that gives you a range of options to ensure your benefits match your lifestyle.