Summer Placement Quantity Surveyor 2021 - Southampton
Undergraduates will complete an 8-12 week placement within Balfour Beatty, commencing in the summer of 2021. Our Quantity Surveyor / Commercial Undergraduate roles are typically site-based, however occasionally we have office based placements available depending on the project requirements.
Our aim is to provide you with an insight into our business, whilst gaining valuable experience of Quantity Surveying or Commercial Management to support your studies. You will be given the guidance and support you need to ensure you make the most of your time with us, as we want you to make a valid contribution to our business throughout your placement. In order to develop quickly, you will be given a real taster of the role and given real responsibility as early as possible.
You’ll have visibility in key areas of our business – these could include design, operations, safety and commercial - and you’ll soon appreciate the important role of engineering innovation. Our aim is to develop your skills and to help you reach your full potential. As your programme progresses you will work with construction specialists and contractors on various projects, and will help ensure compliance with our Health and Safety agenda.
Your responsibilities may include:
· We deliver projects of differing size and scope throughout the UK and you will work with the commercial team in ensuring we make the optimal margin on a project
· Developing effective working relationships with members of the project management team
· Compiling applications data and providing input into change control systems
· Understanding risk and identifying the implications of actions taken by yourself and the project team
· Assisting in subcontract management and, in time, taking responsibility for your own subcontractors
Your time with us will help you gain valuable experience should you aspire to specialise in quantity surveying.
What we’re looking for:
· You will have an enthusiastic, engaged attitude and an eagerness to learn
· A flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you may be required to travel as part of your training)
· A team-focus with the ability to communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
· A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative
What you’ll need:
· To be studying for a Quantity Surveying, Commercial Management or similar ideally expecting to achieve a 2:2 or above
· Full UK driving licence
· Be eligible to work and live permanently in the UK
Rewards and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary dependent on your year of study and any other previous experience. You may also be invited to return for further work placements and ultimately a place on the Balfour Beatty Graduate Scheme, subject to further assessments.
Fill in below which area you are searching in for a similar function and don't forget your e-mail address!