What are you going to do
We are looking for responsible, energetic and enthusiastic individuals to lead, motivate and support a team of 15 teenagers through the challenges of NCS in Summer 2018.
National Citizen Service (NCS) is a once-in-a lifetime experience open to all 15 to 17 year olds across England and Northern Ireland that helps fast track their future. It is the largest youth development programme in the country and is a key part of the governments Step Up to Serve campaign.
POSITION: NCS Mentor – Summer 2018
RESPONSIBLE TO: Lead Mentor, Wave Lead and NCS Manager.
DATES: There are 6 options for Summer 2018:
- Wave 1 - Mon 25th June to Fri 20th July 2018
- Wave 2 - Mon 2nd July to Fri 27th July 2018
- Wave 3 - Mon 9th July to Fri 3rd August 2018
- Wave 4 - Mon 16th July to Fri 10th August 2018
- Wave 5 - Mon 24th July to Fri 17th August 2018
- Wave 6 - Mon 30th July to Fri 24th August 2018
If available you can work on Wave 1 then follow on to Wave 5 or 6. Or Work on Wave 2 and follow onto Wave 6 giving you 8 weeks employment.
SUMMER PROGRAMME FORMAT:
Phase 1: Adventure Residential - Monday AM to Friday PM – Camping or Dorm Rooms at an Outdoor Pursuits
Centre – Transport is provided. Your
role is to quickly build a rapport with your team of 15 teenagers, to lead them
through the activities, support them at all times and motivate them, ensuring Health
& Safety is paramount.
Phase 2: Skills Week Residential - Monday AM to Friday PM - In Halls at a University Location in
Leicestershire. You will lead your team
through the challenges set by local businesses and workshops, ensuring that
they achieve and enjoy the journey and motivate them to succeed.
Phase 3: Social Action Project 2 weeks: 30 hours a week, 6 hours each day: 10am to 5pm (some flexibility with
this is required) Based in Leicester city or county. You will lead your team to
make a difference on the Social Action Project, either campaigning, fundraising
or revamping to benefit the local area.
Celebration Event: One evening in September
2018. You will present your team with their Certificates signed by the
Total of 20.5 days employment (4 week Mon to Fri) + 4 unpaid training days.
Wage: Aged 18 to 24: £7.60 an hour. Aged 25+: £ 7.85 an hour.
Approx. wage of £1,345 for the 4 weeks. Not including holiday pay and before tax.
Main purpose of THE job:
- To be responsible for up to 15 young people in a team; to provide the supervision, motivation and inspiration to help your team succeed and enjoy the NCS experience.
- To keep your team of NCS young people focussed and on track with the programme.
- To assist in the delivery of activities for participants, and to be responsible for ensuring that young people complete the required 30 hours of social action in weeks 3 and 4.
- To communicate quickly and effectively during the programme between the young people, the NCS office, colleagues and all external visitors and public you come into contact with.
- To resolve minor issues on a daily basis; to ensure that the Lead Mentor and Wave Lead are aware of all safeguarding issues and accidents in line with processes.
- To complete all necessary Registers and paperwork on time and accurately.
- Ensure the safety and welfare of young people and colleagues at all times.
- Enthusiasm and drive to ensure successful delivery of NCS.
- Empathetic, sensitive and approachable nature, tolerance and patience.
- A genuine interest in the welfare of young people and confidence in developing their respect
- Strong interpersonal skills and good verbal communication skills.
- Ability to remain calm and composed in difficult situations, sound judgement and responsible nature.
- Good organisational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to lead and work as part of a team, with a flexible approach to work.
- Commitment to support young people throughout the duration of NCS.
- Prior experience of working with teenager or adults in a supervisory role is desirable but not essential.
- You must be able to demonstrate problem solving skills, ability to motivate, inspire and use your own initiative and common sense.
- You must be able to demonstrate an ability to build a rapport with others and maintain effective, professional relationships and the ability to effectively and respectfully resolve potential or existing conflicts, showing creativity and resourcefulness.
- To ensure group harmony and facilitate the group dynamics.
- To refer appropriate welfare issues to the Lead Mentor & Wave Lead and ensure the immediate welfare needs of the young people are met.
- To ensure all personal information regarding young people is kept confidentially in accordance with data protection requirements.
- Ensure the safeguarding of young people is paramount and report issues to the Lead Mentor.
- To administer basic First Aid, if required, in line with NCS Training.
- To complete the Incident/Accident report form within 24 hours of any incident taking place.
During NCS Activities:
- To ensure appropriate video/photographic footage is taken to record your teams' activities.
- To ensure all activities are undertaken in the spirit of the NCS Social Bond and to take action if inappropriate behaviour happens.
- To uphold and positively contribute to the credible reputation of LEBC and NCS at all times.
Social Action Projects:
- To facilitate the planning and delivery of a successful Social Action Project for your team.
- To ensure that you and your team adhere to all Risk Assessment protocols, abiding by all Health and Safety requirements.
- To ensure any fundraising is done in accordance with collection licences provided.
- To promote and safeguard the welfare of all young people and colleagues at all times.
- Any other duties, consistent with the main purpose of the job, as may be specified from time to time.
- Having your own transport is not essential.
- To provide support and team leadership for the young people, facilitating and leading on occasion their day / night
- To be an active member and ambassador of NCS, taking part in activities where appropriate and demonstrating a 'joining in' team spirit and 'can do' positive attitude.
There will be various weekday and weekend training dates to pick from in March, April and May 2018, you must attend all 4 days of training. All training is held at LEBC's office in Leicester City Centre, LE3 5AG.
All job offers are conditional to successful completion of this training and an Enhanced DBS Check.
What we offer:
- Experience of working with young people
- Full training in working with young people
What we ask:
- Minimum degree: GCSEs including English and Maths
- Minimum work experience: Ideally working with young people
When enquiring about this position, please have a look at the wave dates and see which wave you could work on.
Please apply by sending in your most up to date CV
- Education Level
- Secondary School, College
- Type of Contract
- Summer / Holiday Jobs
- Salary indication
£7.80 per hour
- Responsible for
- Upto 15 teenagers over the summer of 2018
- Type of Job
- Teaching / Instructors / Guides, Counselling and Social Services
- Full UK/EU driving license preferred
- Car Preferred
- Must be eligible to work in the EU
- Cover Letter Required