Statutory Sick Pay for students

All information correct from November 2022.

If your sickness has persisted for more than four days (including non-working days), then you may be eligible for statutory sick pay (SSP)

Do you have no idea what this is or how much you are entitled to? Well sit back, relax and take a read through our simple guide.

What is Statutory Sick Pay?

Currently, if you have been sick for more than four days, then your employer is entitled to pay you £99.35 per week for up to twenty-eight weeks.

This is the minimum amount employers have to pay you, what we advise is to look through your employment contract under the ‘sick pay scheme’ so go ahead and check it out! If the employer focuses on wellbeing, it will most likely be more.

The first three days of your illness are known as ‘waiting days’ and are unpaid. Unless you have already received SSP within the previous eight weeks, that also included a three-day waiting period.

You will receive your SPP the same way as your wages so that it could be monthly, weekly or fortnightly (depending on your company’s policies).

It is also worth knowing that tax and National Insurance will be taken off too.

Who is eligible for Statutory Sick Pay?

Let’s tackle the myths together and see who qualifies for SSP:

  • You must be employed and have completed some work for the company (You can also claim SSP from two current jobs).

  • Agency workers and zero-hour contract workers.

  • Been off sick for four days in a row (passed the waiting period).

  • Earning an average of at least £123 per week.

  • Informing the employer you are sick within the deadline, or within seven days (this will be in your employment contract).

And who is ineligible for Statutory Sick Pay?

How to claim for Statutory Sick Pay?

As long as you claim for SSP within the deadline date (discussed earlier on), you may need to provide a sick note from your doctor, if you have been ill for more than seven days.

If for whatever reason you are not happy with the settlement, then you can raise a query with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and dispute the amount. The number to call them on is 03000 560 630.

While you're here, why not find out more about how to call in sick. Perhaps you need a more flexible working life? Check out our part-time jobs on StudentJob.

Register now with StudentJob

Do you want to be kept up to date on the latest jobs for students? Register for free on StudentJob.


All about employee rights