Work life is like Pandora Box full of surprises and shocks. Everybody enters an organisation with his own mind set and hopes to provide his inputs, be the best employee of the month, an asset of the company and live a relaxed life. How often do these expectations come true? How often is a well-qualified individual given the same respect as an employee who’s been associated with the organisation for a long time? Most importantly, how should one handle the work politics and make his space known in the organisation?
A company is full of people from different backgrounds, a difference of ideology and targets who are expected to work together and bring out the best in each other. It’s normal, when a different set of people meet and interact, that there will be ego clashes, a difference of opinions, insecurity and many other thoughts that will make people cynical. At times people’s resentment creeps in when issues are not resolved, and lack of healthy communication leads to politics amongst people. But the real question is how to achieve targets and become the valuable asset of the company amidst work politics and pressure?
I have worked in many multi-national companies and from my personal experience, I have chalked down some tricks to work through the office politics and reach to the top:
- Have optimistic attitude: Being a narcissist or cynical will not help resolve conflicts. Rather, it will make you hate your job and make you cringe every morning. Instead have a positive attitude towards your colleagues and even problematic people, so that they feel comfortable in your presence.
- Use your eyes and ears more than your tongue: It is often said, “Silence is golden.” Learn to observe people and listen to what they are saying rather than speaking, since what you feel is right. So take out your wisdom specs and observe more than just imparting your wisdom.
- Compliment your words with your actions: Learn to honour your words. When your actions complement your words, and you will achieve your targets; your seniors and colleagues will respect you and trust you.
- Make your employer your confidante: If you feel that a situation is out of your control and you cannot take any more, then it is high time to talk to your employer and share your problems. A chaotic and stressful mind cannot produce results; so take your stand and let your boss know what you are going through.
- Lead by example: Lastly, believe in yourself and do what you think is right to accomplish the targets. Being a leader does not mean simply giving orders. Instead, you should work as a team and do what it takes to get results.
Working in an organisation is not easy but with the presence of mind and patience, you can not only accomplish your targets but also carve a niche for you. Work politics is the most common practice that exists in every company; so do not quit. You must face it to get over it.
If you have planned to quit then opt for a good placement agency that will land you in a good company. Their services are expensive but luckily you can check out By Discount Codes and find great offers and discounts.