The SEO industry is growing at an astonishing rate. Starting a career in this sector benefits you in multiple ways. Apart from a lucrative salary and flexible work, SEO jobs provide you with excitement and career growth opportunities.
If you are passionate about SEO, here is how you can build a thriving career in this sector.
What Does an SEO Professional Do?
SEO professionals are responsible for boosting clients’ presence on Google. They increase website rankings and traffic.
SEO is a growing industry, incorporating various areas. Some of them are:
- Content research and development
- Off-site SEO, aka link building
- Technical SEO
- On-site SEO
As an SEO expert, you can decide to be a jack of all trades or specialize in a specific field. If you have a knack for writing, then content marketing may be the career path for you. On the other hand, if you are all about data analytics, consider a career in technical SEO.
Why Is an SEO Career Good for You?
Building a career in the SEO industry may be a wise move for multiple reasons. Here are some of them:
- With the ever-growing number of individuals and organizations building websites, the need for SEO is growing. This industry provides multiple employment opportunities. On the other hand, it requires multiple skills such as SEO competitor analysis, keyword planning, link-building, etc.
- Most SEO jobs are highly flexible. SEO professionals often have flexible work hours and remote opportunities.
- Salaries in the SEO industry vary based on your knowledge and experience. According to statistics, an SEO specialist earns approximately $46,060 yearly, while senior SEO professionals’ salaries reach $61,611 per year.
- The career options are multiple. You can work in-house, at digital marketing agencies, or with media companies. Apart from traditional in-house jobs, you can also choose to work as an independent contractor.
How to Build a Thriving SEO Career?
Now that you know how an SEO career can benefit you, it is time to start working on it. Here are a few tips you should implement right now:
Gain the Basic SEO Skills
To start a career in SEO, you should know how search engines work and what they seek when ranking websites. To optimize content effortlessly, you should also have a basic knowledge of HTML, PHP, and CSS.
There are many SEO courses for beginners. Some of them are:
- SEO Training by Moz
- On-Page and Technical SEO by SEMrush Academy
- SEO Training Course by HubSpot
- SEO that Works by Backlinko
- Yoast SEO Training
Have a T-Shaped Skill Set
Having T-shaped skills means that you have extensive knowledge about one or two SEO areas, but you know a bit about its other fields, too.
For example, say you specialize in content research and development. To create optimized content, you need to know the basics of keyword research, graphic design, and on-site SEO. You will also need to use various website analytics tools to track content performance.
Finally, as an SEO professional, you need to understand the basics of related digital marketing areas. Let’s take the example of AdVisible, a digital marketing agency in Australia. To meet clients’ needs, they focus on the collaboration between their SEO, social media, web design, and creative teams. Only by understanding how these areas intertwine can you provide clients with a spotless online presence.
Familiarize yourself with the Common SEO Tools
SEO software is a vital part of any SEO area, from link building and keyword research to client reporting.
Therefore, by investing effort into learning how to use these tools, you show your passion for the industry. You demonstrate your eagerness for continuous development, which is essential in fast-paced industries such as SEO. That may help you stand out among other candidates and land your dream job.
Some of the most popular SEO tools you should learn to use are:
- Google Analytics
- Moz Pro
- Screaming Frog
While some of these tools are free, others can be expensive. However, you can always sign up for free or low-cost trials to familiarize yourself with the software.
Most importantly, software providers offer detailed guides, tutorials, and articles created for their users. Alternatively, do not be afraid to reach out to SEO groups and communities to ask for tips.
Demonstrate Industry Credibility
To land a perfect SEO job, you need to demonstrate your passion for the industry. Most importantly, build trust with potential employers by showcasing your industry knowledge.
To do that, you need to:
- Build an SEO-focused resume. It should showcase your education, SEO results, skills, the tools you use, etc.
- Build a website. It is far more engaging and informative than a CV. Add the logos of your clients, create a detailed portfolio, and have an About Me page. Write case studies and client success stories.
- Use LinkedIn to connect with the SEO industry players. Share thoughtful content to get noticed by potential clients or employers.
Stay on Top of SEO Trends
Once you learn the basics of your SEO field and get your first SEO job, do not kick back and relax. The SEO industry is evolving at an astounding rate. With the advance of new digital technologies, Google’s algorithms also change. To maintain a competitive advantage, SEO professionals need to stay on top of these trends.
Many resources can help you keep track of the industry trends. Here are some of them:
- Google’s Webmaster Central Blog
- Search Engine Journal
- Search Engine Land
- The SEMrush blog
- The Backlinko blog
- The Webology podcast
- The Voices of Search podcast
- The Search Engine Journal Show
Are You Ready to Build an SEO Career?
If you are willing to work in a fast-paced industry and learn continuously, SEO may be a lucrative career opportunity for you. I hope these tips and insights will help you!
Share this article
Tips for Cleaning a Gas Hob in a Convenient Manner
Cooking may be thrilling, but cleaning up the stew or the pasta sauce that spilled on the stovetop is not so much fun. While it may seem...
15 Interesting Things about Web Design You Should Know
Different Browsers disagree on what your website should look like. You might have often wondered why certain websites tend to look...
5 Effective Ways to Start Your Career as a Mobile App...
The future of the Internet is on mobile. New apps emerge every day for entertainment, shopping, business, health, and anything else you...
Register now with StudentJob
Do you want to be kept up to date on the latest jobs for students? Register for free on StudentJob.Register