There has been a rise in the number of Spanish employees working in the United Kingdom after Brexit. If you are from Spain and work or plan to work in the UK, you may be wondering what Brexit means for you and do Spanish need visa for UK?

All the new EU/EEA entrants to the UK must comply with UK immigration rules beginning January 1st, 2021. A Spanish national can move to the UK for various reasons, including employment, education, or reuniting with family. After Brexit, there are several options for Spanish citizens who want to move to the UK. 

Moving to the UK for Work from Spain

People from Spain who meet certain criteria can work and live in the UK. The new Skilled Worker Visa will be the best option for most people traveling to the UK for work from Spain.


·        You must get a job offer from a UK-based company that is authorized to sponsor you/holds a sponsorship licence. (The company cannot lawfully employ you if they do not have a sponsorship licence)

·        On the points-based system, you must receive at least 70 points.

·        The company must have provided you with a sponsorship certificate.

·        The job posting must be a "genuine vacancy" with an adequate skill level.

·        The job must pay a minimum wage, which varies depending on the job role.

·        You must be able to demonstrate that your English language skills are at least at the B1 level. 

·        You must have sufficient money to maintain yourself (and any family members) while in the UK.

·        You may be required to provide a criminal record certificate as well.

To lawfully sponsor you, your UK company must perform some tasks. Most crucially, they must have a sponsorship license and supply you with your unique certificate of sponsorship number that you must include in your UK Work Visa application.

Other UK Work Visas

There are four more common UK work visas in addition to the Skilled Workers Visa. Each of the UK Work Visas has its own set of requirements. These visas are as follows:

Tier 2 Intra-company Transfer Visa

If you have been offered a job position at a multinational company's UK office, you could be eligible for this visa. You must earn at least £41,500 per year or the 'going rate' for employment to be qualified.

Tier 2 Intra-company Graduate Trainee Visa


This visa is for transfering to the United Kingdom as part of a graduate training program.

Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa

If you have been offered a job in a faith-based community in the United Kingdom, you may be qualified for this visa.

Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa

This visa is for sportspeople who are professionally recognized on a global scale.

The UK point-based system

Anyone wishing to work in the UK on a Skilled Worker Visa will need to achieve at least 70 points on the points-based system under the new UK immigration system.

In the system, there are both mandatory and tradeable points. You can get points based on your degree of education as well as if your employment is in a shortage occupation role.

Mandatory Points

·        An employment offer from a UK company with a sponsorship licence (20 points)

·        A job with the appropriate skill level (20 points)

·        English language skill at least at the B1 level (10 points)

In order to be qualified for the UK Skilled Worker Visa, your work role must match the criteria outlined above. The rules for those wishing to work in healthcare or education vary slightly.

If the position pays at least £25,600 per year or the going rate for the job (whichever is higher), you will receive an additional 20 points, for a total of 70 points. However, having a salary of at least £25,600 is not required. You can get the extra 20 points via other means.

Tradeable points


·        Salary at least £20,480 to £23,039/year, or at least 80% of the going rate for the profession (whichever is highest): 0 marks

·        Salary at least £23,040 to £25,599/ year, or at least 90% of the going rate for the occupation (whichever is highest): 10 points

·        Salary of £25,600 or more, or at least the going rate for the profession (whichever is highest): 20 points

·        Job in a shortage profession: 10 points

·        Ph.D. in a related field to the job: 10 points

·         Ph.D. in a STEM topic related to the job: 20 points

Share this article

Popular posts